The Final Edge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

♥ GameStop ♥

2 posters

Go down

♥ GameStop ♥ Empty ♥ GameStop ♥

Post by Mop_it_up Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:23 pm

I've seen many people complain about GameStop before, and many of them seem to be about the employees. They've even gone so far as to condemn the entire chain based on one encounter. I was just curious what kind of experiences anyone here has had at GameStop.

The employees will vary greatly by store location. Some stores do have employees who are actually knowledgeable about games and can help out the uninitiated without sarcasm or snide remarks. It's the ones who don't really know about games who can be a problem. One time I asked the clerk for a Nunchuk attachment for Wii, and she had no idea what I was talking about. I explained to her what it was, and she said "Oh, you mean a Nunchuk controller." Really? Couldn't make that connection? Anyways, if you don't have a GameStop near you with friendly employees, then I can understand never visiting them. However, unless you've actually visited each store in your area, I think it is a bit unfair to assume the entirety of the chain has terrible employees.

That said, some of their store policies are ridiculous. First off, I'm not really sure if they have any standards as to what condition they will accept a game in, as I've gotten a few disc games which were scratched to all dirty floors and couldn't be read at all. If these games were actually tested then they would have known they didn't work. Also, each used game has a set price regardless of condition, so games missing the box and/or manual aren't any cheaper.

Once I did a little experiment to test my suspicion that they put non-working game returns back on the shelf, by marking the game I had returned. Sure enough, when I went back a week later there it was sitting on the shelf. I guess they will continue to attempt to sell it until they sell it to somebody who wouldn't be bothered to return it.

The open-box display case thing for new games is pretty dusty table as well. I never buy new games from them any more because you never know if you'll get a sealed copy or not. The last "new" game I bought was Super Mario Sunshine, which was opened and already had a couple of scratches on the disc.

EB Games was better than GameStop. Even after the buyout, they still had better prices and store setup. That's where I bought many of my Nintendo 64 games from because their used games were all out on the shelves instead of locked behind a glass case, and were generally in good condition. I don't remember ever buying a non-working game from EB.

These days I only go to GameStop when I'm looking for GameCube games, as they're used prices on Wii games are barely less than new. Their GameCube prices are hit or miss, though they definitely have some better deals than whats on eBay. What really bothers me though is that they've started putting the price sticker underneath the plastic cover and on the paper insert itself, which is going to at least wrinkle up the paper when attempting to remove it. That's just plain illogical to put stickers there, it's like when they'd put stickers on cartridge game labels even though there's plenty of non-label space available.
Mop_it_up
Mop_it_up
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

♥ GameStop ♥ Empty Re: ♥ GameStop ♥

Post by Nexik Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:52 pm

For the most part, the gamestop I've got around here is good. All the employees who are hired through ours are real gamers, hell, half of them share their PSN accounts so you can hang out with them online and all that (and the fact that all of 'em tried to call out the day MGS4 came out was pretty cool, most of them succeeded and came in for their games when I did Razz).

Only issues I have with gamestop is the excepted things like giving them your game for five bucks and seeing it being sold for another twenty. We've gotten some games that didn't work, but we always tried scratch cleaner, then lens cleaner on the system, and then if all else failed we just went back and got a different disc. Though, I'm going to guess they just put it back in for the next joe who comes in for it :/

I agree with you on getting only new games that are sealed though. though most the games I've gotten "new" and even some that were "used" I've gotten in new condition.
Nexik
Nexik
Admin
Admin

https://thefinaledge.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum